Welcome to our information gateway.
Professor Vernon M Neppe MD, PhD (Med), FRSSAf, DFAPA, FFPsych (SA), MMed (Psych), ABPN (BC Psychiatry' subspecialties: Forensic Psychiatry -04, Geriatric Psychiatry-11), DPsM (with Neurology / Psychiatry), DSPE, DABFM, DABFE, DABPS (Psychopharmacology), FACFE, LMACFE, FCPsych, MB, BCh,, BA, FRCPC-10, MMed, is a formidable, highly trained, experienced and internationally renowned neuropsychiatrist, behavioral neurologist, psychopharmacologist, psychiatrist, epileptologist, consciousness researcher, in-demand communicator, civil forensic expert (defense or plaintiff), peer-respected clinician, extensively published academic, book-author and incisive thinker. Applying several objective criteria (peer-review and recognition,, training, experience, results, versatility), Dr Neppe is one of the most highly qualified medical experts in the USA, and uniquely qualified in his broad areas of testimony. He prefers civil medicolegal expert work, attempting to equalize defense and plaintiff cases, but will occasionally accept competency cases. His multiple specialties and qualifications allow him to be retained as a single expert performing tasks that often require numerous experts. He is very strong as a clinician and researcher and demonstrates powerful intangibles in forensic research (incisive thinker, professional communicator, excellent research methodologist, clinical scientist, writer —very useful for declarations, and MD and PhD). This allows Professor Neppe to at times double up on as a an expert in many different disciplines.• Dr. Neppe was recruited after an international search to establish and become Director of what was then apparently the first Division of Neuropsychiatry in a Department of Psychiatry in the USA (in 1986, at the University of Washington, Seattle)
Given Dr Neppe's prime leadership position, pioneering as he has higher brain functions and traumatic brain injury, a recent topically important, high profile area that Dr Neppe is now forensically consulting in is Chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
His major areas of expertise include multiple areas where he is an international authority on numerous related areas, using a criterion based on publications, presentations, research or recognitions:
1. Head trauma / brain injury / cerebral disturbances/ head injury (e.g., key chapters in books; own published classification of closed head injuries, plus medicolegal consultations including 8-figure settlement),
2. Side-effects and clinical impacts of brain medications (e.g. author of two books on psychopharmacology; extensive publications plus medicolegal consultations),
3. Seizures and atypical spells (extensive background; publications; pioneering discoveries; measuring instrument; classification plus medicolegal consultations),
4. Tardive dyskinesia, neuropharmacology of basal ganglia disorders (such as Parkinson's syndromes) (e.g. plus medicolegal consultations and key publications).
5. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (e.g. published review, pioneering discovery plus medicolegal consultations),
6. Attention deficit (e.g. pioneering discovery, treatment published plus medicolegal consultations; far more than Attention Deficit Disorder),
7. Mental status (a leading authority plus medicolegal consultations),
8. Narcolepsy (developed questionnaire and delivered inaugural invited address to Division of Chronobiology at Cornell University),
9. Vegetative states and minimally conscious states (published on special evaluation skills in persistent vegetative states and minimally conscious states (expert consultant in a major 8-figure settlement),
10. Organic and psychiatric aspects of brain and biological conditions. (e.g. consultancies to DSM-IVR; publications and medicolegal consultations)
11. Pharmaceutical patents (retained by attorneys for both brand name and generic companies plus published in generic/ brand drugs),
12. Nutraceuticals, nutritional supplements (major interest e.g., writing a book on dietary supplements and developed a special document on the hazards for the ASCP) on obesity (including psychotropic medication side-effects, lectured nationally) and diet (currently, writing a book on the subject) and on previously used diet compounds such as Ephedra alkaloids (both plaintiff and defense expert).
13. Suicide and depression, anxiety, and aggression (retained by both defense and plaintiff; extensive expertise in area with publications).
14. Medical malpractice (within expertise and writings and retained by both defense and plaintiff; see too How Attorneys Can Best Utilize Their Medical Expert Consultant: A Medical Expert’s Perspective)
15. HIPAA and related security internet issues (publications),
16. Chemical sensitivities, prolonged. (e.g. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130723006787/en/Gang-Associates-LLC-Announces-Veteran’s-Disability-Award),
17. Carbon monoxide and brain injury (medicolegal consultations for neuropsychiatric expertise on carbon monoxide's effects on the brain),
18. Personal injury (within expertise and writings and retained by both defense and plaintiff; see too How Attorneys Can Best Utilize Their Medical Expert Consultant: A Medical Expert’s Perspective)
19. Competency issues provided these are not associated with criminal cases . (Developed evaluations of higher brain function with mental status; plus medicolegal consultations).
20. Disability. e.g. again http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130723006787/en/Gang-Associates-LLC-Announces-Veteran’s-Disability-Award, where comprehensive reports are written.
21. Wrongful death (medicolegal consultations).
These skills allow Dr. Neppe to be a very powerful expert for many different kinds of cases, including personal injury, malpractice and competency issues. Moreover, his potential use in multiple capacities, such as Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Neurology and Psychopharmacology as well as Psychiatry and Seizure phenomena, and as an expert on higher brain functioning, and his combined MD and PhD qualifications, and extensive publications in many areas, markedly increase his versatility and range as an expert consultant. This should permit the retaining of fewer experts in certain cases, and allows for powerful rebuttals and more complete perspectives in consultations.
Dr Neppe's Forensic site contains details about several medicolegal areas www.pni.org/forensics/ (the headers below are pertinent and the links live on this site.)
FORENSICS | FORENSIC NEUROPSYCHIATRY | NEUROPSYCHIATRY & NEUROPSYCHOLOGY differences | PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY |
And on Dr. Neppe: FORENSIC FIT | DR NEPPE & PNI FORENSICALLY | DR NEPPE'S EXPERTISE | AS EXPERT WITNESS | KINDS OF CASES | GEOGRAPHIC RANGE | BACKGROUND | PNI NEUROPSYCHIATRIC EVALUATIONS | PNI PERSPECTIVES
Amplified links on www.pni.org/forensics/ include:
Attorney medical expert selection Closed Head Injury,
Buspirone and Attention Deficit Disorder and Aggression
Cry the Beloved Mind and Innovative Psychopharmacotherapy (Neppe psychopharmacology books)
There are several different attorneys who can provide recommendations. These are available on request (please complete below, for example, or otherwise contact Dr Neppe at the Pacific Neuropsychiatric Institute at 206 527 6289. Or you can visit XProLegal.com (bottom of page).
Dr. Neppe's passion for supporting the finest achievements in medico-legal forensic work has led him to write an excellent and informative book, designed to give any attorney the inside view of how to best utilize a medical expert witness:
How Attorneys Can Best Utilize Their Medical Expert Consultant: A Medical Expert’s Perspective (2nd edition, Brainvoyage.com ).